Sunday, 18 December 2016

Scrappy Quilt Progress - Patches & Pinwheels

I've been working at my scrappy quilt pinwheels this week in between other projects and I'm really pleased with how its looking.  I tried two ways of making pinwheels and found this way easiest & more accurate.

I have a lot of scraps already cut into squares ( 4", 4.5", 5"). Some are from my own projects and some were given to me. I tend to like really bright colours so pinwheels were a great way to combine my brights with colours I wouldn't usually use.

 So I went through my bin of squares and put two contrasting fabrics right sides together. Then I drew a line down the centre:




Then I stitched 1/4" down both sides of the marked line.



Then cut down the line and you have two half square triangles. I did a whole batch of these and then played around to make the pinwheels, some with all blades the same:


Others with alternating blades:


Then I joined these together and trimmed them to 6 &1/2" blocks.



I love the way they have turned out!  Amazing how good scraps can look.


I trimmed up the 16 patch blocks and then had fun playing around with them all:




I have still have a lot more pinwheels to make but I'm loving this so far! The pattern I'm using is one of Bonnie Hunters - Patches & Pinwheels.

Linking up to Scraptastic Tuesday - lots of great scrap project links there.



5 comments:

  1. Half the fun of a scrap quilt is the playing I think! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to use up all of your squares - so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your scrappy pinwheels, Jayne!!! I get a real sense of achievement when I turn scraps into a quilt, or something else usable. I can see you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love scrappy quilts, Jayne. Your looks beautiful. I've featured it today.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment!